Thursday, November 3, 2011

LEARNING BY DOING: RECOVERING THE DINING CHAIRS

Oh, eventually.  Someday, my dining chairs will look wonderful, and I will have pictures I am proud to show you.  This week, all I have is shamefacedness and wonderment at how I really never seem to get things right the first time.

A while ago, I had something of an emotional experience when I bought my dining room table and its 6 chairs.  The table and the chairs are an awesome mid-century set.  But, the whole set needs some work put in before it will look as nice as it can.

A big part of this is recovering the chair seats--

vintage dirt on that seat


--which people do all the time.  I bet someone's doing it right now.  Somewhere, a novice do-it-yourselfer is recovering chairs like this.  Or an expert is explaining it.  Because it's easy!  All you do is get some fabric, some glue, and a staple gun and you're good, right?

I mean--


ohhh.  oh no.

--oh.  Um.  Whoops!  I bought foam cushion material that was 2" high because I thought oh, that'll be so nice to sit on, so comfortable!  Which it is, but it also obstructs the lines of the chair.  And 2"(it turns out) is a lot of cushion-- when I sit on this, my feet barely touch the floor.  Also, I really liked this fabric in the store, and I even bought a coordinating fabric to make pillows for the chairs.  Because I thought--pillows!  How cute would that be, to have little dining chair pillows!  Upon reflection though, I believe this is what's technically known as as 'biting off more than you can chew.'

Back to the drawing board with the fabric and the seat padding.   It's a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment